ARBURG has designed a production cell for the fully automatic volume production of internal conductors for Fakra connectors, encapsulating up to 72,000 pins per day. The associated robotic systems and peripherals are characterized by extremely fast and precise handling of the delicate inserts.
The production cell is built around a hybrid injection molding machine whose electric clamping unit permits short cycle times. A vertical robotic system takes delivery of individual batches of 16 pins from two vibrating spiral conveyors. The pins are then inserted into the holes in the gripper insertion module and transported to the mold. Here, the robotic system removes 16 finished parts and simultaneously inserts the pins. The cycle time is only approx. 20 seconds.
- Quality in high volumes: production cell with high-performance automation and peripherals can be relied upon to encapsulate up to 72,000 inserts each day
- Reliable handling: the delicate pins are positioned by means of a Scara robotic system and precisely inserted into the mold by means of a vertical MULTILIFT V
- Optical inspection: cameras and photoelectric barriers are used to ensure that the pins are the right length, the nozzle side is free when the mold is opened and all 16 pins are inserted Precise injection: hybrid machine with position-regulated screw and electro-mechanical dosage drive
- Flexibility: the system can be changed to a product variant with longer pins in just 15 minutes
- Central monitoring: automation and peripherals integrated in the SELOGICA machine control system
Part weight: 0,07 g (excluding the pin)
Material: cross-linkable PP
Cycle time: 20 s
A hybrid ALLROUNDER 370 H encapsulates 16 pins in each cycle. The electric clamping unit enables short cycle times. Precise molding is assured by a position-regulated screw and electro-mechanical dosage drive. A shortened 15 mm screw minimizes the material dwell times.
to the hybrid machines
For handling of the delicate pins, the gripper of the MULTILIFT V vertical robotic system is equipped with 16 contour cavities. This takes the pins from the feeding device and inserts them into the mold. At the same time, it removes 16 finished parts and ejects them according to cavity by means of a tubular distribution system.
to the linear robotic systems
The encapsulation of delicate metal pins with 0.07 g of plastic requires absolute precision from the injection molding machine and automation solution. The robotic system and peripherals are integrated in the central SELOGICA control system. Once all pins are positioned in the 16-cavity mold, the control system receives an I/O signal via photoelectric barriers.
to the process
Through the encapsulation of metals with plastics, functional hybrid parts are produced, for example internal conductors for Fakra connectors for motor vehicles. A complex production cell serially produces up to 72,000 finished parts a day - at a consistently high quality level.
to the sector